Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Iceland Day Four: On The Road

 Today I started to head back west. There are a couple spots on the Golden Circle I didn't see on my way through there on Day One that I wanted to make sure to visit. This is about a six-hour drive from where I was camped. I passed the time by listening to audiobooks and looking at the beautiful scenery while trying to avoid numerous sheep and keep an eye out for one-lane bridges. Surprisingly, the sun came out today and the ice cap and glaciers were bright white and totally visible! I had to stop at the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon again to see the difference between a sunny day with sparkling icebergs and full glaciers in the background. It was beautiful - now I understand why people would choose to kayak here. I'm glad I could see it on a sunny day. An hour after that, I made a pit stop in Vik, the biggest town on the south coast. Shortly after, I got a warning light on the van engine and had to pull over. I waited seven hours while they sent out a new van. This was uncomfortable and gave me anxiety, but I was safe and everything was going to be okay. Plus I literally had everything I needed with me, so I tried my best to reassure myself. After the swap, it was 10:30 at night, so I went to the Skogafoss campground five miles away and called it a night. Oddly, this was the one evening where the clouds lifted and it became really clear. From the parking lot where I waited for the new camper, I was able to start to see the mountains and glaciers above the edge of the green cliffs/headlands. At that time of night, there even came a rosy glow to the clouds - not sunset, but a rosy twilight. Today was a good reminder that road trips can be slightly exhausting. But I kept it safe and didn't hit any sheep, I didn't miss anything critical and so that's a win.


















No comments: