Wow! Iceland is amazing!! I am renting a camper van this week and exploring the Golden Circle and Southern Coast. I stopped in Reykjavík today to see the Hallgrimskirskja Lutheran Church before leaving town to see the rift valley between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. I stopped at the Thingvellir National Park to walk the Fault Valley Trail. It passes directly through the Almannagjá gorge, which is the literal physical gap between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. This area was a gathering place for civic business and legal decisions for hundreds of years by the Iceland Parliament. People would descend upon it and camp out. There are active archeological sites. The trail also goes past the Drekkingarhylur drowning pool to the Öxarárfoss waterfall as well as the historic Thingvallakirkja Church.
I even found a campground that was playing the Norway-England World Cup game in their lodge so that I got to watch that. Tough loss for Norway, sadly.






























No comments:
Post a Comment