Saturday, May 4, 2024

APRIL - Johanna's Birthday


Katie and I celebrated our birthdays at M-Bar on their rooftop deck. It was divine. 
My actual birthday was a small one this year. I am trying to figure out how I feel about a quiet birthday. I think I am working through some birthday trauma. I know birthdays are supposed to be super happy, but I always end up having a bit of a cry. I am trying to understand that better.
Single mamas often don’t get a birthday celebration unless they do it themselves and I’m fresh out of energy for that.
I was surprised by Mr. Busby, his staff, and his special needs students with a plate of cookies, tissue paper flowers, and a card signed by them. My leadership students surprised me with cookies for a class birthday party and sang to me, so sweet. My children - given $40 and told on Thursday to “please remember your mother’s birthday,” came through with a gift and sweet little notes. They did a great job with the birthday cake.
My birthday treats to myself included a pedicure, Thai food for dinner tonight with Reed, and a long walk on Sunday around the shores of Lake Washington. There are many cherry blossoms on this route and they were delightful. Thankful for my knee for holding steady on the 9-mile walk and for feeling strength returning. I’m grateful for my people and the love we can create and share together.














No comments: